I often lament how busy holidays are. And not even just the big ones — these “B list” holidays are often the worst. (Sorry, St. Patrick’s Day.) But really, if it’s not a school or work holiday, it often seems impossible to squeeze in some celebrating.
So when do we do it? Breakfast.
Breakfast is the only time our family is together on an average weekday, so it’s the perfect place to squeeze in some festivity.
These Irish Soda Bread Scones are a perfect little treat for St. Patrick’s Day breakfast. They’re pretty much your standard soda bread, but in scone form. They can be made ahead and frozen, too, which makes them nice and quick on the holiday!
These are best served warm with butter.
Irish Soda Bread Scones
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup half and half
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water – for egg wash
Fill a small bowl with hot water. Add raisins and set aside for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Drain the raisins and stir them into the dry ingredients.
Add remaining ingredients and stir just until combined, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand 7-8 turns, until everything comes together nicely.
Divide the dough in half and shape into a ball. Flatten the ball into a round, and cut into six slices. Transfer the slices to a lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
These are best served warm, slathered with butter.
adapted from Baker By Nature
St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
- Bangers and Mash by Everyday Eileen
- Easy Boxty by Our Good Life
- Brownie Batter Fudge for St. Patrick’s Day by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cod Cakes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Green Velvet Cookies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Irish Buck Cocktail by Family Around the Table
- Irish Cheddar Ale Mac and Cheese by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Irish Cream Poke Cake by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Irish Soda Bread Scones by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Nutty Irish Car Bomb Cake by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Potted Crab by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Shamrock Shake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Irish Stew with Guinness by Palatable Pastime