This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
If there’s one recipe I’m most excited to share this week, it’s this one. Not because it’s the fanciest or most impressive – but it’s the one that makes me happiest.
My mom has been making these for me since I was in preschool.
The recipe came from my preschool, actually. I don’t remember what the context was anymore, but they must have recruited parents to make these for some special event, so my mom did – again and again as all three of us kids went through the school.
My the time my sister got to Kindergarten, they were a family staple.
These take a bit of time to put together. Kneading in the color takes a bit of effort, and getting the dough into the perfect size is an artform – but once you have the log assembled, it becomes easy-peasy.
The chilled dough turns into a fun slice-and-bake log – and the dough cooks up just perfectly every time.
This recipe showcases Dixie Crystals sugar – one of our fabulous #SpringSweetsWeek sponsors. While nearly every recipe I’m posting this week involves sugar, these cookies showcase it beautifully.
There aren’t any fussy flavors here – it’s a no-fuss sugar cookie. Dipping it in sugar again before baking, though, adds a beautiful texture to these cookies!
Makes 2 dozen
2/3 cup shortening
2 1/2 cups sugar, divided (I used Dixie Crystals)
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. milk
Red, yellow, green and blue food coloring
In a stand mixer, beat together the shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, and vanilla until very fluffy.
Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until combined. Add in milk and mix until a dough ball forms.
Divide the dough into three equal balls. Color one pink and color the second yellow. Split the third ball in half and color half green and half blue.
Roll the blue into a thick log about 8″ long.
Roll the green into an 8″ rectangle and drape over the blue. Repeat with the yellow and pink.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pour remaining sugar into a shallow bowl.
Slice the dough into 1/4″ pieces. Dip one side in sugar and place on a baking sheet, sugar-side up.
Bake for 9 minutes.
from our family recipe box
Wednesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Buttermilk Carrot Cake by The Crumby Kitchen
- Carrot Cake Baked Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze by House of Nash Eats
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars by The Speckled Palate
- Coconut Cream Sweet Rolls by Cooking With Carlee
- Crêpes with Orange Caramel and Mascarpone by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Easter White Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookies by A Savory Feast
- Easy Pina Colada yogurt parfaits by Creative Southern Home
- Lemon Frozen Yogurt with Cake Mix Crust by Our Good Life
- Key Lime Tart by Sweet Beginnings
- Krispy Peeps Treats by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lavender Blueberry Cheesecake Bars by The Gingered Whisk
- Lemon Blueberry Baked Donuts by Palatable Pastime
- Lemon Blueberry Scones by Blogghetti
- Lemon Shortbread Bars by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Lemon Totos by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Marshmallow Chick Cupcake by Simply Inspired Meals
- Peeps Snack Mix by Home Sweet Homestead
- Rainbow Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Spring Bling Meyer Lemon Almond Cake by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spring Sugar Cookie Bars by Cookaholic Wife
- Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies by The Tip Garden
- Tres Leches Cake by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Vegan Raspberry Dark Chocolate Energy Bites by The Baking Fairy
- Welcome Spring Gravity Drip Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Swiss Diamond, Nancy’s Yogurt, Barlean’s, Sprinkle Pop, PEEPS, Melissa’s Produce, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Eight (8) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.