What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side? For me, it’s green bean casserole. I only make it for Thanksgiving each year and it’s something I always look forward to. And for that reason, it’s also the side dish I’ve been most hesitant to switch up.
This cheesy version may be a contender for new favorite.
These casserole starts with fresh green beans that are par boiled and then tossed in a cheese sauce and topped with seasoned bread crumbs and fried onions.
It is reminicent of a traditional green bean casserole but the cheesy element adds a really fun flavor and makes it – dare I say it? – more kid-friendly.
This week I’ll be linking up with some of my blogger buddies to share with you lots of holiday side dish options!
Don’t forget to check out the other awesome Holiday Side Dishes posted today:
- Balsamic Mustard Brussels Sprouts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cranberry Leek Wild Recipe from The Complete Savorist
- Easy Southern Succatash from Blogghetti
- Herbed Hasselback Potatoes from Family Around the Table
- Honey Glazed Carrots from Dutch Oven Daddy
- Honey Roasted Carrots with Thyme from Sweet Beginnings
- Hot Honey Skillet Corn from Our Good Life
- Okra Casserole from The Spiffy Cookie
- Par-Baked Dinner Rolls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Pepper Bacon Mac N Cheese from Simply Inspired Meals
- Roasted Garlic and Herb Mushrooms from Cook with Renu
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sauteed Chayote Squash with Onions and Bacon from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese from Palatable Pastime
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
1 1/2 lbs. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 1/2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 shallots, minced
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/3 cup flour
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup low-fat milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, divided
3 Tbsp. dry breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. onion powder
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
In a large saucepan, bring a few inches of water to a boil. Add in the green beans and cook for about 4 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain and transfer to bowl.
In the same skillet, heat 4 tsp. of olive oil and butter. Add the shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes, until they start to brown. Add in the thyme, salt and pepper, and cook for a minute more, until fragrant. Stir in the sherry and cook until the liquid is evaporated. Sprinkle flour over and stir until combined. Slowly whisk in the broth and milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups cheddar. Add in the green beans and stir until everything is evenly combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and remaining olive oil. Stir in the onion powder and paprika until evenly distributed. Sprinkle over the green beans.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
11 thoughts on “Cheesy Green Bean Casserole”
Pingback: Balsamic Mustard Brussels Sprouts - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Pingback: Cheesy Okra Casserole | The Spiffy Cookie
Pingback: Disney's Pepper Bacon Mac and Cheese ~ Simply Inspired Meals
Pingback: Roasted Garlic and Herb Mushrooms - Cook With Renu
Pingback: Dutch Oven Honey Glazed Carrots - Dutch Oven Daddy
Pingback: Cranberry Leek Wild Rice - The Complete Savorist
A Holiday classic made without canned creamed soup…..nice.
Pingback: Friday! Friday! Friday! Favorites! – 11/01/2019
Pingback: Italian Easter Bread | Kate's Recipe Box
Pingback: Roasted Carrots with Carrot Top Pesto | Kate's Recipe Box
Pingback: Herbed Hasselback Potatoes • Family Around the Table