One of the most requested lunches in our house? Grilled cheese. I always try to encourage the kids to help out when I’m making simple meals – but throwing some sliced cheese on bread just wasn’t holding their interest. How do you make grilled cheese more fun? Make it colorful, of course!
This rainbow version – dubbed Unicorn Grilled Cheese in our house, because of course unicorns have rainbow manes – only takes a few extra minutes to make but the extra fun helps keep the kids engaged!
What is unicorn grilled cheese?
Unicorn Grilled Cheese is a simple variation on normal grilled cheese that gives a super-fun, rainbow result!
Using food coloring, you color shredded cheese and then pile it onto the bread. When it melts together, you get a fun, colorful masterpiece!
We call it “unicorn” as a nod to a unicorn’s rainbow mane!
How can kids help?
- Measure cheese
- Add food coloring
- Mix the color into the cheese
- Spray the bread with non-stick spray (or spread with butter or mayonnaise)
- Add cheese to the bread
- Place the other piece of bread on top
- Cut the sandwiches (if using a kid-safe knife!)
Adults will need to:
- Cook the sandwiches (or oversee older kids)
- Cut the sandwich (if no kid-safe knives are available!)
Want more recipes for kids?
If you’re looking for more recipes that are easy for kids to help with, make sure you look through the other recipes in our Kids in the Kitchen series.
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Food coloring - 4 different colors, perferably!
- 4 slices bread of choice
- Butter, mayonnaise, or non-stick cooking spray
- Add 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese to 4 different bowls.
- To make each bowl a different color, add 2 drops of food coloring to each bowl and stir. We made red, yellow, green and blue.
- Spray one side of each slice of bread with nonstick cooking spray (or spread with butter or mayonnaise. Flip the bread so the sprayed or spread side is down on a cutting board.
- Spoon the cheese onto two of the bread slices in lines. We like to do it in rainbow order so the final result looks like a rainbow, but any color order will work fine!
- Use remaining bread to cover the cheese, again with the sprayed or spread side facing out.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the grilled cheese, flipping halfway. When both sides are toasted and the cheese is melted, it's done!
- Let sit on a plate or cutting board for 2 minutes to cool slightly, then slice in half diagonally.