Do you call these muddy buddies? Puppy chow? Something else?
Around here, we just call them delicious! But, for real, everyone in the family loves them. And I love that this small batch version is the perfect size to whip up for movie night or family game night .
This is also a recipe that’s great for the kids to tackle! Bigger kids will be able to do nearly all of this solo – but there are things that even the littlest kids can help with!
Muddy Buddies are a very forgiving recipe, so a few mistakes in measuring won’t matter and there’s no real risk of over-mixing. This makes it the perfect recipe to let the kids take the lead on! Letting the kids handle the process themselves is a great learning opportunity and helps build confidence in their kitchen skills.
How can kids help?
For this recipe, older kids will be able to do the whole thing independently. For the littlest chefs, you can have them dump ingredients into the bowls after they are measured and shake it up – everyone’s favorite part!
- Measure ingredients
- Run the microwave with assistance
- Shake it up!
Adults will need to:
- Assist with the microwave
More great recipes for kids
If you’re looking for more recipes that are easy for kids to help with, make sure you look through the other recipes in our Kids in the Kitchen series. Some of our favorites include Unicorn Grilled Cheese and Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
- 4 cups Chex cereal (we prefer Rice Chex)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Measure the Chex into a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter. Microwave at half power for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. If needed, microwave at half power for another 15 seconds.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal. Stir until evenly coated.
- Place powdered sugar in a large zipper bag or container with a tight-fitting lid. Add cereal. Seal up.
- Shake until the cereal is evenly coated with sugar.
- Spread out on a baking sheet until completely cool. Store in an airtight container.