We have a few more weeks of summer here, so I haven’t quite wrapped my head around back-to-school. We’re entering a brave new world this year – Kindergarten! – and I’m not ready to give up our relaxed summer schedule.
I know a lot of our friends are starting to head back, though, and I’ve gotten quite a few requests for easy back-to-school dinners. This dinner is perfect – easy, but still full of the fresh flavors of the season.
This dump-and-bake pasta couldn’t be easier – you don’t even have to pre-cook the pasta! We used leftover grilled chicken, but you could use a rotisserie chicken too. This is also easily made vegetarian by skipping the chicken and using vegetable broth instead.
A few minutes to chop and assemble and then your hands are free to help with homework or spend some quality time with the little ones who have been at school all day!
Wednesday Farmer’s Market Week Recipes
- Basil Pesto Salad Dressing by The Spiffy Cookie
- Charred Endive Salad by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheddar & Thyme Yellow Squash Biscuits by Savory Moments
- Fresh Cherry Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Garlic Broccoli Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lemon Meltaway Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Mixed Berry Cobbler by The Redhead Baker
- Old Fashioned Fruit Cobbler by Tip Garden
- Pink Peony Jelly by Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pork Bahn Mi Bowls with Pickled Vegetables by Books n’ Cooks
- Summer Vegetable Pasta Bake by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Tequila Salsa by Our Good Life
- Watermelon and Tomato Gazpacho by Cookaholic Wife
Summer Vegetable Pasta Bake
2 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 large tomato, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
12 oz. uncooked uncooked penne pasta
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9×11″ pan with nonstick spray.
Set aside 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup basil.
Pour the rest of the ingredients into the pan and stir to combine. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
Uncover and stir. If pasta is not al dente, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
When pasta is al dente, sprinkle remaining mozzarella over the top and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil, and stir.